Monday, January 31, 2011

Games Played, Lessons Learned

You played chess in my rib cage.
You finally won by snatching the Queen of Hearts.
Then you threw it away.
And then knocked over your own king.
You won and then quit.
You didn't really want it.

You held me right before I went on my next adventure.
You said all those beautiful, special things to me.
Things you knew I would believe.
Things you knew that I would stay awake over and dwell on and and smile and swoon over.

You promised we would start talking again.
And I believed you.
I call, you send me to voicemail.
Every.
Time.
I can count the rings and know when I will hear,
"If you would like to leave a message..."

It's killing me inside.
You have taken everything from me because I let you.
I wanted so badly to believe that you ment those touches and looks.

This has to be my final goodbye.
It's just too hard.
I deserve better.
My brain doesn't sleep at night, clicking and tinking away.
I'm exhausted.
I've graduated from the class of you.
With honors.
I'm an expert.
I should write books, hold seminars.
Teach others.
Tell them to be very cautious.

I played in the Minors and was destroyed.
Now I've practiced for seasons and seasons.
And I'm ready for the Majors.
Without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment